Many of the parents I interviewed for Naming the Child said that after the death of their baby, they needed to find tangible ways to reflect and remember. My friend Juliana has created a beautiful, handmade, bereavement package for parents who grieve. This would make an excellent gift, either for yourself or for somebody you know who is grieving now.
The death of a child is devastating. I understand the pain and devastation well, because my first son died when he was just 12 1/2 weeks old. I found that I wanted to remember him in a special, tangible way, so I created a scrapbook about his short life and a small memory book of poems I wrote about him in the days after he died. I knit him a tiny blanket. These things helped me to process my grief in the early days of tears and pain. I offer them to you in the hopes that they will help you on the journey toward healing and hope.
Basic Parcel includes:
- Hand-crafted sympathy card which reads: “Earth has no sorrow that heaven cannot hold. ~Thomas More” Inside the card is a lovely poem by Edgar Guest, suitable for framing.
- Suggested playlist of songs of grief, healing and hope, which includes an e-copy with links to purchase songs as downloads from iTunes or Amazon.com
- Hand-crafted 6”x6” blank accordion book in which to record memories, photographs, letters to or poetry about your child. Color choices include mulberry papers in pale green, pale yellow, pale pink or pale blue with matching ribbon.
This book is fully customizable for an additional fee, including titles, page layout and photo placement. An example is shown below. Pages are slightly blurred for privacy.
- Willow Tree figurine “Remember” (see below for image)
Parcel Price: $50 (plus shipping & handling)
Card only: $5 (free shipping)
- Hand bound scrapbook, 9”x9”, 20 pages, blank or fully customizable for an additional fee. Customization includes titling, photo layout, stamped embellishments, cut-out, layering and placement of mementos, poems, cards, e-mails, etc.
Paper options will be e-mailed to you upon purchase. An example is shown below; additional images available upon request. Because item is hand made and custom, please allow time for creation.
Price: $85 (plus shipping and handling
- Naming the Child: Hope-Filled Reflections on Miscarriage, Stillbirth and Infant Death by Jenny Schroedel
Price: $15.99 (plus shipping and handling)
- Hand-knit blanket, approximately 12”x12”, with child’s name or initials embroidered on one corner, available in light blue, light pink, off-white, white, pale yellow or pale green.
Price: $40 (plus shipping and handling)